Based on the decision of the ISU Congress 2012, the following provision was included in Article 19.1.b) (Sports Directorate) of the ISU Constitution 2012:
"Effective after the Congress 2014, the Sports Directorate as a body and consequently the Chair of the Sports Directorate will be discontinued and the Council will appoint individuals as Directors for Sports and for competitions related functions and any reference to the “Sports Directorate” shall be replaced with the Sports Directors. The Council will present to the Congress 2014 detailed explanations related to the appointment and activity of the Sports Directors, etc."
During the past year, the ISU Council has worked out the relevant rule proposals to be submitted to the 2014 Congress and has also worked out detailed job descriptions for the different Sports Directors functions as well as for competition related functions (Event Coordinators). Specifically, the Council determined that there is a need to recruit Sports Director and Event Coordinators for the following positions:
Sports Director Figure Skating
• The Sports Director is appointed by the Council.
• He/she acts as liaison between the Council and the Technical bodies in the area of sports political/philosophical and technical matters including but not limited to advising the Council in sport-related matters,
• coordinating the sports activity,
• cooperating in the area of the Development Program,
• assisting the Technical Committees in preparing and implementing their four year plans and
• monitoring of Special Regulations and Technical Rules,
• giving advice in the appointment of ISU Event Officials,
Event Coordinator Figure Skating
Event Coordinator Speed Skating
• The ISU Event Coordinator and also possible Assistant Event Coordinators perform all functions specified in the ISU Statutes and in the relevant ISU Memorandum for guidance in organizing/conducting ISU Championships/ISU Events and assignments decided by the Council.
• In addition, he/she serves as liaison between the ISU Officials on duty, ISU technical staff/consultants and the Organizers.
The candidates for the position as Sports Director, Event Coordinator must have
• extensive experience in the ISU sports discipline(s) for which they are acting and
• possess practical, technical, inter-personal and professional skills and
• know-how to perform their tasks
• must be fluent in English
• must be detail-oriented
• should be available for the new task from Congress 2014
• it is possible that the position is filled with persons already in charge
• works closely with the Vice Presidents, the ISU Director General and for a certain period with the members of former Sports Directorate.
The Sports Director and Event Coordinator will
• be based in the country of residence,
• be available to travel extensively and
• be remunerated according to their scope/extend/duration of activity as decided by the Council.
• During the period of appointment they must not hold any official position of responsibility within the ISU, Member federations, club and/or public or private entities involved in ice skating activities and not work as a Coach.
This advertisement is issued to collect candidacies from individuals interested to act in the name of the International Skating Union (ISU) for the necessities related to the positions specified in this document.
We wish to communicate that the candidate selected by the ISU Council will be given the opportunity to discuss and evaluate the service to be provided as well as the procedures to be respected and the benefit/s obtainable from the ISU. We point out that the functions in question are granted through appointments valid for a specific period, but that they can be terminated at any time by the ISU Council at its sole discretion.
Applications for the above-mentioned positions may be sent latest by 17.00h. December 06, 2013 by e-mail to the ISU Director General, Mr. Fredi Schmid (firstname.lastname@example.org). For further information call Mr. Fredi Schmid +41 (0) 21 612 66 66.